Advocates Against Abuse Trainers are self advocates who are trained to deliver the course to other people with disabilities.
Who would make a good trainer?
- A self-advocate who has an intellectual disability
- Has a great sense of pride
- Willing to learn about abuse prevention and how to teach people to protect themselves
- Has the ability to verbally communicate and articulate words well
- Has a high level of energy and comfort in speaking in front of people
- Demonstrates open and/or positive body language
- It is not necessary for every Trainer to have the ability to read
“I’ve learned a lot about how to protect myself and others from abuse.”
- Larry, AAA Trainer